Monday, June 20, 2011

The Formula Which Makes Even The Devil Tremble: Prayer

"The one concern of the Devil is to keep the saints from praying. He fears nothing from prayer-less studies, prayer-less work, prayer-less religion. He laughs at our toil, mocks at our wisdom, but trembles when we pray.” - Samuel Chadwick 
The Lord has heavily convicted me of not daily spending enough hours in His presence through prayer. Yes, I do pray in what seems to be a lot, but it is not enough. There are many mornings when I seem to forget just how worthy He is when I slumber when I ought to be praying. Well, I have had enough of this. By His grace and his omnipotent right hand, I will press forward into His light, and seek His face diligently. We need to be spending more time on our knees, in the prayer closet, and seeking the Lord, then on anything else.

John Welsh, was a mighty man of prayer. In fact, he considered a day to be a failure if he did not spend at least 8 hours in prayer. He reaped what he sowed - the Lord heard John's prayers and there was a great revival. It was not John who changed the peoples hearts, but it was all the Lord, even the praying would be impossible without Jesus! During the revival countless numbers of souls were saved. No records were kept of the actual number converted, but 150,000 is a very conservative estimate during the first six months. Yes - God is faithful to hear our prayers!
"Jesus calls me to separate myself from the world and yield myself wholeheartedly to praying." Andrew Murray
“To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.” Martin Luther King Jr.

Jesus has revealed to me lately that all success in spiritual work is dependent on prayer. There is a vast difference between praying, and speaking about praying. We must not be so busy with our work for the Lord, when we are too tired to spend time with Him. He longs for us to be spending long hours of prayer, completely yielded to the Spirit, and Christ praying in and through us. It is very important to spend hours of undistracted time in His holy presence. We are not our own, and how dare we think that for one second we live life to serve our own needs and wants. No! These bodies are His to do whatever He wants with them.
"We spend most of our days doing things for God and let the cobwebs grow within our prayer closet. This is foolishness, utter foolishness. We should be ashamed of our weak, selfish, and powerless prayer lives and our lack of care for the things of God. We are helpless and hopeless until we learn to stand and fight with our God in persistent, intercessory prayer." Nick Thompson
"...Ministry had become an idol. Working for God had taken the place of loving God. I hid my condition from those who prayed for me and carried on in my own strength, until God decided to intervene in His mercy and love.
I was still getting up every morning at five o'clock and praying with other church leaders, and I was still reading my bible every day, but I was doing these things out of the obligation and habit, and not from a willing heart flowing from my relationship with Jesus...
If you are a servant of the Lord, let me encourage you to please, please, humbly watch that you don't slip into the same error I did. The Lord God jealously desires us for Himself. He is the lover of our souls. If we ever put anything before our relationship with Jesus - even our work for Jesus - then we will be ensnared. If you are burned out, stop! Rest! You lamp needs a constant infilling of the Lord's oil or our light will be snuffed out.  Remember that In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it...Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed our those who wait for Him. Isaiah 30:15,18 "
- Brother Yun The Heavenly Man 
"I have felt led to pray for others this year as never before. I never knew what it was to work all day and then pray all night before God for another. Early in the morning, four or five o'clock, or even earlier, and late at night to twelve or one o'clock, in college or at parties at home, I used to keep such hours for myself or pleasure, and can I not do as much for God and souls?" John Praying Hyde
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.(Matthew 6:6) My dear Christian friends, I give you an invitation from the Lord to enter into the prayer closet. May sweet hours of prayer become your daily reality. Come near to God, and He will come near to you. (James 4:8)
"Our praying needs to be stirred,shaken, pressed and pursued with an energy that never tires, a persistency which will not be denied and a courage which never fails." EM Bounds
 I too stand beside you in prayer, seeking our sweet Jesus, who truly does hear and answer our prayers when we are fully surrendered to Him. God is always waiting to hear your voice. Set apart a time each day that is purely devoted to prayer alone. Patiently wait on Him, worship Him, lay your life down at His feet! May your time in prayer lead you closer to God's heart. Much love in Christ to you all! Seek Christ earnestly!

Joyfully His,

Hannah Brooke Hartman

No comments:

Post a Comment